On my bookshelf

  • "The Breathing Book" by Donna Farhi
  • "Confessions of a Public Speaker" by Scott Berkun
  • "My Freshman Year" by Rebekah Nathan
  • "Power Presentation" by Patsy Rodenburg

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Keeping Busy

After sixteen years in Canada I'm still not totally accustomed to Thanksgiving falling in mid-October: of being able to eat piping hot Turkey in the warm fall sun.  Yet, I love the break to reconnect with family.  This Thanksgiving we got together with all the cousins, roasted marshmellows, explored treehouses and took long naps.  In between, I found myself, yet again, trying to describe to my extended family what it is that I do.  Well, here's an example of some of the day to day work that happens to come up.

Practicing voice overs is actually a great way to think about your speech.  What are the visuals you are trying to create with your voice?  How does the voice convey these different feelings?  The trick with this one was that I had to do it in about twenty minutes having never seen the text before.  The thoughts in here come pretty quickly so it was tricky to match sense with meaning and clarity..

http://www.sfu.ca/pres/petters-perspective/2012/the-promise-and-potential-of-sfu-public-square.html

No comments: